==- Readerror -==
December 20, 2014, 06:10:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register   **

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 06:10:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New NetMeter Beta Build 1.1.4  (Read 67647 times)
Mireczek

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2009, 01:09:34 PM »

I apologize, but I do not know english.
Translate automatic dictionary. Sad

Error in displaying type unicode - Polish.

NetMeter version 1.1.4 beta 4 and early, Vista x64 SP1 - Polish

RazorNova

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2009, 04:00:47 PM »

I installed a program called Hamachi and after that my NetMeter (1.1.3) stopped working. It now constantly claims that there is "Nothing to monitor". My OS is 64-bit Vista Home Premium. This has happened once before, and I have no idea how I fixed it, I believe that the situation returned to normal by itself. The last time was probably when I installed VMware, that also, like Hamachi, creates new virtual networks into the computer.

I believe that the problem lies here, as now, just like the last time, my list of interfaces to monitor only shows All Interfaces and Dial-Up Interfaces. Earlier it showed a long list of various interfaces, and when I chose the one corresponding my network adapter, it worked correctly. With All Interfaces selected it did not work properly. I hope this helps finding the problem. Disabling the new network devices did not help.

After this problem appeared I tried NetMeter version 1.1.4 Beta, and I also had issues with it. It would probably work fine, but it is impossible to use as it takes about 50% of processor usage. This is not normal as my computer has 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo processor and there's no way that my laptop couldn't run the program. I have also tried running 1.1.4 with administrator privileges and in compatibility mode. There might be a conflict with 64-bit Vista. I find it hard living without NetMeter, so I hope that you can create a version that works with my computer again, I have been using NetMeter several years and have really gotten used to it.

Edit: I got NetMeter working again by disabling some of the network devices through device manager. It seems that NetMeter has some kind of limit of how many network devices it can handle at once. If this limit could be overridden or the user was given a possibility to choose which network adapter to use, the problem would not occur. The reason why this appears in Vista, is that Vista has some hidden devices in device manager list used for IPv4 to IPv6 translation. Version 1.1.4 also works after disabling some devices.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 08:13:38 PM by RazorNova » Logged
Mofleta

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2009, 04:37:02 PM »

To those of you who are having problem using Netmeter on Windows 7 (tested on build 7077, 7100) And are encountering Range Check errors.
You'd find that if you disable all excessive connections (any additional NIC's you might have) netmeter would work.

In case you use any VPN adapters (teamviewer VPN, Hamachi...) disable ALL VPN adapters that are not currently connected, and netmeter would work, if it works, but still doesn't read your correct network adapter (Or any adapters), remove your VPN adapter to test (I had to remove Teamviewer VPN adapter to make netmeter work -- in teamviewer option->Advanced->"Show Advanced Options"->Uninstall VPN).
dhendriks

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 11:15:01 PM »

Hello,

I've used 1.1.3 with my Windows Vista Business SP1 x64 English for several month without any problems. However, I installed VMWare Workstation yesterday, which installs two new virtual network devices (VMware Network Adapter VMnetx, with x both 1 and 8 ). After a reboot, NetMeter reported 'Nothing to monitor'. I looked on this forum and found 1.1.4 b4. I closed 1.1.3 and ran 1.1.4b4 instead. It did work. However, the CPU is constantly at 25%, which means that 1 thread is using 100% CPU power (as I have a quad core CPU - with 2.83GHz cores btw). At that point getting to the settings dialog is hell, since it takes forever for NetMeter to respond to any mouse clicks. It did get there eventually. I selected my ethernet card, clicked the Apply button and everything was fine. While the CPU usage was at 25%, the memory usage would go up from like 15 MB to well over a 100MB, only to go back to 15 MB, and up again, down again, etc. It would go up and down every second or so.  See also first attached image. I was very happen once I selected the right network device. However, in the last day, about 3 times a dialog stating 'Error writing logfile "NetMeter.tlg"!' appeared, with both Abort and Retry buttons. Pressing Retry made the dialog disappear. See 2nd attached image.

I have tried each of the network devices in the list separately, but this did not cause 25% CPU power usage. Only the 'All Interfaces' and 'Dial-Up Interfaces' options cause this. For a list of my network devices, see 3rd and 4th attached images. The 'Marvell Yukon' devices are my PCI an PCI-E ethernet cards, of which I only use the PCI-E one. You can see I have ESET Smart Security (virusscanner+firewall) installed, as well as VMWare Workstation. I don't have a dial-up modem. 'vodafonevast.nl' is my Internet Service Provider.

One question about the list: what do the asterisks before some of the items mean? Also, on the attached images, you can see many asterisks. I have now selected the 'Marvel Yukon 88E8056...' one, 3 items up from the 'isatap.vodafonevast.nl....' item. And now, only the selected item has an asterisk before it...

I hope this information can help you. Keep up the good work!

Dennis
dhendriks

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2009, 08:47:25 PM »

I found out a few days ago that the new version stores the 'start at windows boot' entry in a different location (under a different key actually). This caused two entries to the same executable. NetMeter was running twice at the same time. I think this was the cause of the 'Error writing logfile "NetMeter.tlg"!' message, as both processes were trying to write to the same file. I removed both entries (and re-added one of them by using the NetMeter Options dialog) and the problem has not occurred since...
dhendriks

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2009, 08:59:57 PM »

OK, just installed Sun VirtualBox (version 2.2.2). During installation, NetMeter reported 'Nothing to monitor'. Attempting to open the setting dialog now results in access violation. Programs remains running (according to Task Manager). I closed it. Restarted it. Now I get access violations on starting NetMeter as well. It seems it is now completely unusable. I'll have to uninstall VirtualBox. I use NetMeter 1.1.4 beta 4.
V@no

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2009, 10:19:26 AM »

I've noticed two strange behaviors on Windows 7 RC1 Build 7100 64bit:
1) on computer with two LAN ports (enabled but no in use) + 1 PCI wireless adapter, NM works fine, until computer is put to sleep. After wake up NM has empty adapters list, the only fix is reboot.

2) another computer with two LAN ports, only one is used. After installation NM works fine until I plugged in my phone with internet sharing turned on (it creates another network adapter). It crashed NM with memory violation #000000
After that I couldn't make NM to start at all it was sitting in memory taking up 25% of processor's resources, until I unplugged the phone and disabled second LAN adapter. Now NM can only runs when there is only one network adapter.
tjol

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2009, 09:58:42 AM »

I had a "nothing to monitor" problem but after some instalations, desintalations and reboots I found what was creating this situation.

When I have installed Cisco VPN Client both version 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 can't find any interface. I think that's because this software installs for each interface a cloned one with the exactly same name but with " - Deterministic Network Enhancer Miniport" appended. I can see it only if I enable "Show Hidden Devices" in Device Manager -> View menu.

I have (among others)
 - Intel(R) 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection
 - Intel(R) 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection - Deterministic Network Enhancer Miniport
 - Inter(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
 - Inter(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection - Deterministic Network Enhancer Miniport
 - Cisco Systems VPN Adapter
 - Cisco Systems VPN Adapter - Deterministic Network Enhancer Moniport

If I uninstall the VPN Client, the "Deterministic Network..." are gone and both versions work with no problem.

The miniport is supposed to be installed between the other interfaces and the hardware so that the VPN Client can figure out wich traffic to send to the IPSec tunnel.

I saw that people are having problem with "duplicate" ISATAP interfaces so I did this test and it seems that NetMeter doesn't cope to easly with interfaces named alike.

ReadError: does this ring a bell somewhere in the code? (PS-Keep on the good work. NetMeter rocks!... when it works Smiley)

Best regards.

Dagger
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2009, 09:00:23 PM »

While you're fixing Vista bugs, could you make it store the ini and tlg files in the right place? They're currently being stored in the same folder as the exe, so NetMeter breaks unless you happen to be running as a user with write permission to that folder.

They should be in the folder returned by ShGetFolderPath(..., CSIDL_APPDATA) ("Application Data" on XP).
zscan

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2009, 08:10:14 PM »

Hi,

also had the "Nothing to Monitor" thing all of a sudden, but with this new version it works again.
Thank you very much.

Ciao,
zscan
johnnygers

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2009, 11:33:25 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, this 1.1.4 version fixes the access violation problem when attempting to export the data, which was the only problem I encountered with 1.1.3.
I am using Windows Vista SP2 x64.

Thanks for all the hard work put into this.
--John
johnnygers

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2009, 02:16:17 PM »

I found out a few days ago that the new version stores the 'start at windows boot' entry in a different location (under a different key actually). This caused two entries to the same executable. NetMeter was running twice at the same time. I think this was the cause of the 'Error writing logfile "NetMeter.tlg"!' message, as both processes were trying to write to the same file. I removed both entries (and re-added one of them by using the NetMeter Options dialog) and the problem has not occurred since...

Yes you are completely right, this also happened to me and fixed it the same way.

PS: I can no longer access the BETA post?!? wtf.
hoakerk.

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2009, 02:40:02 AM »

Solved (Windows 7):
Acess violation at address XXXXXXXX in module 'NetMeter.exe'. Read of address XXXXXXXX.

Cause:
Conflict with virtual tunels (not sure if it's right term).

Solution: (please read a red text before do anything)
1 - RUN -> cmd
2 - type: 'ipconfig', and see how many network interfaces you see. For exemple, you have 2 LAN ports on your MotherBoard, so its logicly you have to see only 2 network interfaces. If you see more than you have, you probably will need to delete some from your system to avoid NetMeter conflict.
3 - right click on My Computer -> Properties.
4 - on left, click Advanced System Settings.
5 - click Hardware separator -> Device Manager.
6 - on top click View -> Show Hidden Devices.
7 - go to Network Adapters, and expand it. There you will see all network interfaces that your system has installed. I really recoment NOT to unistall those that are like 'WAN Miniport (IP/IPv6/IKEv2/etc..)'.

Another thing, before start doing all this, unplug every device that uses any kind of network activity (BlueTooth, wireless, IR, etc..). Less adapters you have connected, smallest list of network adapters you will see in Device Manager.

Source: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-vista-network/918961.htm

Quote from: 'rad131304'
If you really want to blow away the isatap connections, it's pretty
simple.

Option 1:
-Click Circle Windows Icon (AKA Start Menu for XP)
-Right Click on Computer
-Click Manage (trips UAC)
-Click on Device Manager
-Click View > Show Hidden Devices
-Click Network Adapters
-Delete Network Adapters to your heart's content, just try and avoid
the important ones like ones associated with your NIC and WLAN card
(I cannot take credit for this; I got it off of AAron's blog - I dont
remember the url off the top of my head though Sad)

Option 2:
-Download Devcon.exe from 'KB311272'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272) (this is the command line
device manager)
-run self-extractor to something like c:\temp\devcon
-Copy contents of your OS type (i386 or ia64) in your System32
directory (this requires Administrator Privlages in Vista)
-Run CMD as Administrator (Run As ... may be required in XP depending
on your user rights, but probably not unless you're not at least a local
admin)
-type devcon.exe remove *ISATAP*

-Note that while the second option is "automated", you only delete
Root\*ISATAP\#### network drivers, so if you want to can the Teredo
tunneling adapter you'll have to use:

devcon.exe find root*

to locate that specific adapter, as I don't recall what it is off the
top of my head but I know it's not listed as a ROOT\*ISATAP.

Because of that stupid wildcard in ROOT\*ISATAP\#### naming, I haven't
figured out how to kill individual isatap.{ID} Tunnels, but frankly I
didn't really care at the time to figure that out, since I wanted to get
them all.

Hope this helps!

Sorry for bad english...

Hope this solved your problem  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 02:45:52 AM by hoakerk. » Logged
ikara

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2010, 09:12:33 AM »

First off Thankyou for your very useful little program.
I have been useing it since .99b on '98 through to 1.1.4beta on windows 7  Home premium. 32.
Never had a problem until now, it worked fine on W7 until something changed.
I wonder if it may have been changing from an ADSL connection to an ADSL+2 connection.
When it first went wrong I got this message,
[/img] 
ikara

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2010, 09:36:23 AM »

Sorry I accidently posted last post before I was finished, I have attached three messages I have rx'd while trying to solve the win7 32 Netmeter problem.
Range check error, Access error, now I am haveing trouble with deleting netmeter from the programs folder. I think this because I need to remove it from startup.
I tried going back to 113 with no effect same problem.
I want to try the new beta with the latest changes, is that the version shown on downloads, it seems to be exactly the same. How do I tell the difference.?

The only program that I find is near as useful as yours ir from Networx. OK but yours is better.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Donate

Feel free to support NetMeter: